Hemenway & Barnes offers a full range of philanthropic advisory and grant making services to private foundations, trusts, individuals, families and other entities. We have many years of experience with clients in Massachusetts and throughout New England. Our attorneys and philanthropic advisors apply our expertise in areas such as education, the arts, the environment, and health and welfare. We meet our clients’ individual needs and vision for philanthropy by tailoring solutions and applying best practices in the field.
Hemenway & Barnes currently works with 27 foundations and charitable trusts with assets totaling $350 million. Our clients awarded over $17 million in grants in 2015 to 700 organizations and 600 individuals.
- Advice for individuals and families in choosing the appropriate vehicle for their charitable giving (see Tandem Use of Private Foundations and Donor Advised Funds) such as private foundations, charitable trusts, donor advised funds, pooled giving and individual gifts
- Planning and facilitating family meetings and conversations to design multi-generational philanthropy
- Strategic planning and program design to develop philanthropic strategies consistent with client interests
- Succession planning for family philanthropy
- Advice regarding foundation governance, and roles and responsibilities of foundation directors and trustees
- Legal and financial compliance
For example, Hemenway & Barnes philanthropic advisors:
- Facilitated a family retreat with two generations of a family to design and plan for a newly created family foundation.
- Helped a client design and implement a climate change grant making strategy that was consistent with her other charitable giving interests.
- Provided back office support that allowed the family trustees of a client foundation to focus on grantmaking.
Financial and Fiduciary Services
- Stewardship of foundation assets, including investment oversight; supervision of external investment advisors; development of investment policies in keeping with mission
- Budgeting and financial planning consistent with foundation goals (preservation of corpus, spend-down, program-related investments)
- Coordination of charitable giving with other activities that promote a client's broad philanthropic interests
- Tax compliance and IRS filings
For example, Hemenway & Barnes philanthropic advisors:
- Helped one foundation client tailor its endowment investment policy to be consistent with its environmental mission.
- Wrote an investment policy that provided strategies for the foundation to grow its corpus while continuing to increase its grantmaking over time.
Grant Making Services
- Solicitation of grant proposals in keeping with foundation guidelines
- Proposal review and due diligence including site visits, legal and compliance analysis and financial review
- Preparation of meeting materials and grant recommendations for Trustees
- Grant analysis, monitoring and reporting to ensure successful outcomes and application of funding
Grants Management and Administration
- Negotiation and drafting of gift agreements for cash gifts and gifts of tangible and special assets
- Recordkeeping for all grants made
- Back office administration for all foundation business
Hemenway & Barnes provides the “back office” capacity for a number of foundations, many of which want a one-stop-shop for all their administrative functions.
- Oversight of complex grants and strategies
- Private foundation governance and compliance
- Deep knowledge of the nonprofit community in greater Boston and northern New England
- Multi-generational and next generation philanthropy
- Administration of split interest trusts
- Program Related Investments (PRI)
- Artist endowed foundations
- Polly Thayer Starr Charitable Trust: The Trustees of the Polly Thayer Starr Charitable Trust turned to the philanthropic advisors at Hemenway & Barnes for their expertise in grant making and in managing fine art assets for charitable benefit. The mission of the Polly Thayer Starr Trust is to promote the artistic and charitable legacy of the artist Polly Thayer Starr (www.pollythayerstarr.org). Hemenway & Barnes developed the Trust’s grant making program, which supports young artists at early stages of their careers and educates the public about the life and times of Polly Thayer Starr and other women artists. Through the Polly Thayer Starr Collaborative, three preeminent Boston cultural organizations (The Boston Athenaeum, The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston) are working together with the Trust to engage a new generation of enthusiasts in the art of Polly Thayer Starr. To read more about artist-endowed foundations, see The Rosalie Thorne McKenna Foundation Case Study.
- Jane's Trust: The Trustees of Jane’s Trust wanted to support a human services organization whose mission is well-aligned with their own goals and objectives, yet they were concerned about how the organization would sustain the program over time. The staff of Jane’s Trust helped structure a grant whereby the Trust directly supported the program. They also engaged the services of the Nonprofit Finance Fund to help the organization develop a more sustainable, long term business and financial model, maximizing complex public and private funding sources.
*All foundations marked * are currently accepting proposals. Clicking on the active links will provide you with guidelines or more information for the particular foundation.