Health care technology companies have sought the counsel of Hemenway & Barnes since the early 1980's. That was when the pioneering Health Data Institute put Hemenway & Barnes at the forefront of advising and representing companies providing clinical data and informatics solutions, including:
- Clinical information systems
- Data analytics and electronic health care records
- Internet-based patent systems
- Radiology and oncology systems
- Utilization review systems
Here's a close look at our experience:
- The leading health care provider in the United States for cross-platform technology solutions and analytics has retained Hemenway & Barnes as primary outside counsel. We have assisted with its merger and acquisition transactions, strategic partnering and technology agreements in North America. As a result of this experience, many other health care data companies have sought out counsel. We have advised them regarding licensing, mergers and acquisitions, entity formation, financing and regulatory compliance.
- Providers of expert system modules across several markets have engaged Hemenway & Barnes to serve as general counsel. We've helped them with their entity formation, private and venture capital financings, systems development, regulatory compliance, technology and clinical content licensing, and negotiations with the customer payor and provider marketplace.
- A health care technology company that developed software and web-based systems to streamline the healthcare payment process hired us to serve as their general counsel, assisting in the formation of the company and representing it through three rounds of venture capital-led financing.
- We serve as general counsel for one of the major health maintenance organizations in Massachusetts and special counsel for the largest HMO in the state, handling matters that include negotiations of technology and clinical information systems agreements. We have also represented health plans in compliance with HIPAA and HITECH and in establishing patient management systems, reminder systems, e-health record systems and drug interaction systems for providers.